3 Key Elements to Include in Every Infographic You Create

In a data-driven industry like construction, how you communicate facts plays a critical role in convincing clients to work with you. Infographics make it easy to present data in a clear, memorable, and sharable way, but to be effective, they need all the right elements.

  1. An Engaging Story – The most memorable infograpics tell a story. To find story ideas that will matter to your ideal clients, take inspiration from your most popular blog posts. Focus on your audience’s needs and interests, not on selling your services. Topics such as Planning a Cold Storage Warehouse, Office Building Features Tenants Love or When to Secure Funding for Your Construction Project can all work. You’ll know you have a well-defined story idea when you can write a headline and summarize the main points.
  2. Remarkable Data – The data you include should illustrate and support the main points of your story. If your infographic is about office building features that attract tenants, choose data that shows which features are most in-demand and why. Focus on new or surprising data that’s both useful and exciting enough your audience will want to share it on social media. Stick with data that’s easy to represent visually. Quantitative data works better than qualitative data. It’s fine to add descriptive copy when necessary, but keep it succinct.
  3. A Cohesive Style – A visually appealing infographic attracts more attention and shares. Stick with a palette of three or four colors and a style that fits your target audience. A colorful, playful style might work great for an infographic about primary school construction, but not so well for one about industrial facilities. Browse other infographics to get a sense of the types of charts, graphs, tables, diagrams, maps, and pictograms you can use to present your data. Your representations should make sense at a glance. For example, a circle representing 72 percent of something should be larger than the one representing the other 28 percent.

 

3 Ways to Incorporate Infographics Into Your Marketing Efforts

infographicBecause they grab attention, convey information quickly, and easily garner social media shares, infographics are a valuable marketing tool in the data-heavy construction industry. Using them throughout your marketing helps you reach a wider audience and connect with them faster.

Connect Them to Your Content

Every inforgraphic you create should tie into other content that expands on the topic and leads readers toward contacting you. A blog post, video or downloadable case study are all possibilities. If you create an infographic that gives property developers the dish on this year’s hot trends, connect it to a blog post describing how your company can help them cash in. If you make one about environmentally sustainable building materials and practices, tie it to a video on how you use those materials and practices in your clients’ projects.

Share Them on Social Media

As one of the most shareable kinds of content on the Internet, infographics are practically made for social media. This goes double if they include handy tips or surprising facts that make the one sharing them look helpful and knowledgeable. Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are some of the best places to post your infographics, but Pinterest is another good bet if you’re targeting home building and remodeling clients. Link your infographic back to a relevant webpage or other content where potential clients can learn more.

Include Them in Newsletters

Attention spans are short when checking email, so the faster you can get your point across, the better. Infographics let your readers get the gist at a glance so you have a better chance of tempting them back to your website. While you can use one long infographic as your newsletter’s main body, there’s a high risk it will get caught in the spam filters. Instead, use small infographics to illustrate single ideas. If your newsletter talks about the three biggest pitfalls to avoid when planning a hospital renovation, include an infographic that illustrates each pitfall with an eye-catching icon.