Despite being considered at higher risk for COVID-19, workers least likely to get COVID vaccinations are employed in:
- Food/beverage (53%)
- Transportation (50%)
- Retail (48%)
- Construction business (47%)
Project and other managers “might have their work cut out for them” if they plan to require or simply encourage vaccination among construction business employees says Construction Dive.
Construction Business Owners Hesitant Too
This is truly a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don’t situation. The majority of construction workers want to be protected and are willing to vaccinate. The other percentage may be wary or even angry about vaccination or mask-wearing. Construction business owners are facing legal liabilities from both sectors.
Employers can mandate that their employees get the vaccine. Such a rule would require them to navigate federal laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, and other federal, state, and local regulations.
4 Incentive Ideas
You are advised to consult with an attorney before implementing any of these incentive ideas for construction business employees:
- Paid sick leave day-after vaccination(s) if needed – This one is tricky; something similar may need to be offered to employees unwilling or unable to get the vaccination(s).
- Paid time off – Encourage vaccination during work hours and offer pay for the number of hours required to get vaccination(s).
- Provide education – Make information about the benefits of vaccination readily available to employees. Consider an onsite class led by a medical professional, complete with a questions-and-answers session.
- Vaccine clinic onsite – Invite a team of medical professionals to set-up a vaccination clinic at the project worksite.
Valuable Information for Your Construction Business
The possibilities for Construction Monitor building permit data are exciting. You can develop business leads but maybe, more importantly, you gain valuable information from your customized datasorts. And it’s the kind of information that can drive construction business decisions.