Nobody likes do-overs, but we all make mistakes. What sets the best companies apart from the wannabes is how we respond to our mistakes.
If you’re going into overtime and running over-budget too often or your margin for errors is too high, do something about it. Reducing construction rework increases profits.
8 Causes of Construction Rework
Design changes are the leading cause of construction rework, so technology is impacting construction rework in a big way. We can design and then construct virtually. We can return to the drawing board before the foundation is laid, saving time, materials, labor…and of course, money.
Eight additional causes of construction rework include:
- Deadlines – Unrealistic timeframes leading to rushed, lesser-quality work
- Materials – Quality of materials not what was expected; don’t meet specifications
- Misunderstanding – Unclear client expectations
- Paper-chasing – Missing documents, incorrect processes, and general inability to find the information needed in a timely manner
- Procurement – Supply chain problems, ordering the wrong materials
- Quality control – No standards/processes to follow
- Supervision – Inexperienced or ineffective management; lack of leadership, no teamwork guidance
- Untrained workers – Underqualified jobsite/administrative personnel or workers that don’t take pride in workmanship
Communication is Critical
Today, most construction project failures “are the result of insufficient communication,” says a project management software developer. Now more than ever, construction management teams must develop a clear plan that includes how and when communications will occur.
Make No Mistake: Using Technology for Business Development is Essential
Lost time and money are minimal problems when you consider the amount of frustration construction project participants experience. Everyone – management, contractors, employees, investors – everyone suffers the dissatisfaction that comes from construction rework. Especially mistakes that could have been avoided.
Discounting technology and data utilization is the biggest mistake you can make. Construction Monitor can give you information for job leads and more. You’ll learn about profitable alliance opportunities and historical trends that reoccur. Our building permit datasorts will give you actionable insight.
You can’t go wrong when developing and managing available technology resources. Contact Construction Monitor for proven-to-work information, available when you need it: today.